Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Did you know?? part 2

Jodi Picoult recently extended her talent to writing comic books!

She began a stint with DC Comics by scripting several issues in the "Wonder Woman" title. She is only the second woman to work on the title.

In an interview, Ms. Picoult tells how her writing styles differ in her novels and comics:

My books are very different from my Wonder Woman issues - and yet I hope my readers recognize some similar themes and character development, within a new framework - my fans have been very excited about my upcoming run on the comic book. But then again, with Wonder Woman, I'm not writing exclusively to teenagers either. Ironically, bridging the two demographics is also what I do as a novelist. I have a huge young-adult following, but I never label myself as a young-adult writer. What I try to do is write about issues that are pretty sophisticated, that have sophisticated humor or sophisticated problems, and teenagers will read themselves into the books, either through teenager characters or through some of the moral and ethical problems that I'm addressing.

If you're talking about a mother-daughter conflict, for example, you can look at it from the mother's point of view or the daughter's point of view, which is why you can attract a variety of age groups. And that's something I consider when I sit down to write Wonder Woman.

...writing a novel for me is a very visual medium. I've always said it's like seeing a movie in my head, and then somehow translating it into words for people who aren't seeing the same film that I'm seeing.

Writing a comic book to me is very similar. It's very visual, obviously, and pacing is incredibly important. What I find harder in a comic book script is that instead of sticking with one character and one situation and one point of view for, say, an entire chapter, you wind up switching between many different points of view in the course of one issue. So the pacing feels a little different, it's choppier, and that of course contributes toward making it feel more action-packed.

But like any novel, I think just as a chapter would have a beginning, a middle, a cliffhanger at the end, you would feel the same way about a comic-book issue. I want my comic-book issues to have a beginning, a middle, and a cliffhanger at the end to get you to pick up the next one.

Read the full interview at:

Part 1:
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=94768

Part 2:
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=94951

Who says Comics are just for kids???




(Did you see the price on the cover? $2.99?!? Definately not only for kids at these prices.)

1 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this one a lot!! We need more fun things in the library.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home